(5) Connect airbrake system of towing vehicle to intervehicular couplings located
under front fenders of vehicle to be towed.
Failure to turn on air shutoff valves will result in loss of brakes on
towed vehicle. This may cause injury to personnel.
(6) Turn on both service and emergency brakes air shutoff valves.
(7) Depress clutch pedal (11) of towed vehicle and place gearshift lever (6) in 1
(first) gear (12). Place transfer selector lever (8) up to HIGH position (13). Release
parking brake lever (7) of towed vehicle.
(8) Turn on battery switch (18) and place ignition switch (16) in RUN position.
Towed vehicle should start within 100 yards (91.40 m). If engine
fails to start, stop towing operation. Notify organizational
(9) Signal towing vehicle operator or ground guide to begin towing. When towed
vehicle reaches 10 mph (16.09 km). slowly release clutch pedal (11) and depress
accelerator pedal (9).
(10) Depress clutch pedal (11) immediately after engine starts.
(11) Signal towing vehicle operator to stop and depress service brake pedal (10).
(12) Place gearshift lever (6) in N (neutral) position (14) and release service brake
pedal (10) after vehicle stops.
(13) After vehicle comes to a complete stop, apply parking brake (7) and pull
throttle control (17) out until engine speed reaches 800-1,000 rpm on tachometer (15).
Lock throttle control (17) in position by turning left or right.