(5) Depress clutch pedal (6) of towed vehicle and place gearshift lever (7) and
transfer lever (9) in neutral position. Release parking brake lever (8) of towed vehicle.
Apply parking brake on towed vehicle before disconnecting
vehicles. Failure to do so may cause severe injury or death to
(6) After vehicle comes to a complete stop, apply parking brake (8).
(7) Disconnect towbar (3) and utility chains (5) from disabled and towing vehicles
and stow in designated place.
Failure to completely turn off air shutoff valves will result in loss
of brakes on towing vehicle. This may cause injury to personnel.
(8) Completely turn off both service and emergency brakes air shutoff valves.
(9) Disconnect airbrake system of towing vehicle from intervehicular couplings of
d. Lift-Towing With Wrecker.
(1) If either axle or suspension system of disabled vehicle is badly damaged, it will
be necessary to extend the boom and raise front wheels of disabled vehicle off the
ground. Boom shipper braces should always be used to take strain off boom hoist ram
and swing gears.
One front wheel and one set of wheels on forward rear axle of
disabled vehicle must be raised off the ground before propeller
shafts are removed. One other set of rear wheels should be blocked
to prevent disabled vehicle from rolling.
(2) If disabled vehicle transfer is damaged, it will be necessary to remove propeller
shaft at forward rear axle differential and front propeller shaft. If differentials are
damaged, it will be necessary to remove axle shafts and connecting propeller shafts.
When axle shafts are removed, cover openings in axle securely to prevent dirt and foreign
matter from entering.
Change 1 2-91