(2) Park vehicle directly facing object to be winched. Place gearshift lever (2) in
N (neutral) position.
(3) Pull parking brake lever (3) up to engage.
(4) Depress clutch pedal (1). Press it all the way down. Place gearshift lever (2) in
N (neutral) position. Let up on clutch pedal (1).
(5) Pull drum lock knob (4) all the way out, turn it 1/4-turn, and let it go. This lets
drum turn freely so cable can be pulled out as much as needed.
c. Unwinding Winch Cable.
Wear hand protection when
handling winch cable. Do not
allow cable to run through bare
hands. Broken wires can cause
The following steps are to be used for M816 and M819 vehicles
with level wind and tensioner assembly on the front winch.
(1) Pull the level wind lock knob (5) all the way out, turn it 1/4-turn, and release.
(2) Pull the tensioner lever latch (7) all the way out, turn it 1/4-turn, and release.
(3) Pull the tensioner lever (6) toward the left side of the vehicle as far as it will go.
(4) Engage drum jaw by moving drum clutch lever (8) away from winch.