(6) Remove air hoses (24) from stowed position and between dual wheels of bolster
trailer (4) and position along sides of bolster truck.
Failure to turn on air shutoff valves will result in loss of brakes on
towed vehicle. This may cause injury to personnel.
(7) Start engine (refer to paragraphs 2-12 and 2-13) and open right rear trailer
coupling air valve (23) to release failsafe brakes on bolster trailer (4).
(8) Release winch drum lock by pulling drum lock knob (19) out all the way,
rotating 90 degrees and releasing.
(9) Engage winch drum clutch by lifting hinged lock (21) and pulling drum clutch
lever (20) away from winch as far as it will go.
Do not disengage transfer power
takeoff control (29) when
transfer selector lever (28) is
operating in neutral. This could
cause transfer bearing failure.
(10) Start engine, disengage clutch pedal
(30), and position gearshift lever (25) in 3
(third) gear (26). Place transfer selector lever
(28) in N (neutral) position.
Exercise care when lunette (22) of
reach (5) clears rear of bolster truck
frame to prevent damage to the
electrical connector cover (12).
(11) Pull transfer power takeoff control lever (29) to engaged position and engage
engine clutch (30) momentarily. This will cause bolster trailer front wheels-to start
climbing the bolster (3). Disengage engine clutch (30) quickly, place gearshift lever (25) in
R (reverse) position, and engage engine clutch (30). The winch cable (8) will begin to
unwind and the bolster trailer (4) should start to back off the bolster carrier and down
the ramps (14).
(12) Slow winch unwind operation as reach (5) of bolster trailer (4) approaches rear
support of trailer carrier.
(13) Lock bolster trailer brakes by closing right rear trailer coupling shutoff air
valve (23) on the bolster truck.