(7) Move locking plunger safety latch (10) to right or left to release locking plunger.
(8) Move locking plunger lever (9) forward and secure in forward position. Coupling
jaws (12) are now unlocked.
Step 9 applies to M818 vehicles only (replacement fifth wheel).
(9) Pull plunger handle (13) forward. then out to open fifth wheel coupling jaws (14)
Make sure fifth wheel wedges are in proper position for travel
conditions. Failure to do so may cause an accident with injury
or death to personnel.
(10) For highway travel. fifth wheel wedges (11) must be pushed in all the way.
(11) For cross-country travel. wedges (11) must be pulled out all the way.