ON M818 VEHICLE ONLY
c. Uncoupling the Semitrailer.
(1) Start engine (refer to paragraphs 2-12 and 2-1 3).
(2) Move vehicle to where semitrailer is to be parked.
(3) Move semitrailer airbrake hand control lever (2) to ON (lever down) position.
(4) Apply parking brake (4).
(5) Move gearshift lever (3) to N (neutral) position.
(6) Lower semitrailer landing gear (11) and install chock blocks.
(7) Disconnect electrical cable connector (13) from semitrailer receptacle (12) and
secure in hose support.
(8) To release semitrailer kingpin (6), move locking plunger safety latch (9) to
release locking plunger.
(9) Move locking plunger lever (8) all the way forward to unlock coupling jaws (10).
Step 10 applies to M818 vehicles only (replacement fifth wheel).
(10) To release semitrailer kingpin (6), pull plunger handle (17) forward, then out to
open fifth wheel coupling jaws (18) (M818 only).
(11) Release parking brake (4) and place transmission gearshift lever (3) in 1 (first)
(12) Slowly move tractor forward until fifth wheel (7) is clear of semitrailer skid
(13) Stop engine (refer to paragraph 2-16).
(14) Apply parking brake (4).
(15) Move semitrailer airbrake hand control lever (2) to OFF (lever up) position.
Failure to completely turn off air shutoff valves will result in loss
of vehicle brakes. This may cause injury to personnel.
(16) Move air valve handles (19) to OFF position.
(17) Disconnect emergency and service brake hose half couplings (20) from
semitrailer half couplings (21) and secure hoses on air hose supports.