Section IV. OPERATION UNDER UNUSUAL CONDITIONS
2-31. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS
a. General. Special instructions for operating and maintaining vehicles under unusual
conditions are included in this section. Unusual conditions are extreme temperatures,
humidity, and/or terrain. Special care with cleaning and lubrication must be taken in
order to keep vehicles operational when operating under unusual conditions.
b. Cleaning. Refer to paragraph 2-8 for cleaning instructions and precautions.
(1) Refer to LO 9-2320-260-12 for proper lubricating instructions.
(2) Service intervals in LO 9-2320-260-12 are for normal operating conditions.
Reduce intervals to more frequent servicing when operating under unusual conditions.
d. Driving Instructions.
(1) FM 21-305 contains special driving instructions for operating wheeled vehicles.
(2) AR 600-55 contains instructions on driver selection, testing, and licensing.
(3) FM 9-207 contains instructions on vehicle operation in extreme cold of 0°F to
-65° F (-17°C to -54°C) or below. Other documents with information on cold weather
vehicle operation are:
(a) FM 31-70 Basic Cold Weather Manual.
(b) FM 31-71 Northern Operations.
(c) FM 90-6 (HTF) Mountain Operations.
e. Special Purpose Kits. Paragraphs describing special purpose kits for operation
under unusual conditions are:
Arctic winterization kit, paragraph 2-43.
Deepwater fording kit, paragraph 2-40.
Hot water personnel heater kit, paragraph 2-42.
Windshield washer kit, paragraph 2-45.
f. Reporting Material Failure. Report chronic failure of vehicle, body equipment. or
kits on Standard Form 368 (Quality Deficiency Report Equipment Improvement Rec-
ommendations) as presented by DA Pam 738-750 and as stated in paragraph 1-4 of this