c. Operation instructions for the following special purpose kits are covered herein:
(1) A-frame kit (paragraph 2-44).
(2) Arctic winterization kit (paragraph 2-43).
(3) Airbrake hand control kit (paragraph 2-47).
(4) Bow and tarp kit (paragraph 2-41).
(5) Deepwater fording kit (paragraph 2-40).
(6) Hot water personnel heater kit (paragraph 2-42).
(7) Troop seat kit (paragraph 2-46).
(8) Windshield washer kit (paragraph 2-45).
2-40. OPERATING DEEPWATER FORDING KIT
a. General. The deepwater fording kit allows M809 series vehicles to cross through
water up to 78 inches (198 centimeters) deep.
After fording, do not rely on brakes until dry. Brake failure can
cause severe injury to personnel and/or damage to vehicle.
Never attempt deepwater fording unless water depth is known to
be 78 inches (198 centimeters) or less, and bottom surface is known
to be hard. Limit speed to 3 or 4 miles (4.8 or.6.4 kilometers)
b. Preparation for Fording.
flywheel drainport (1).
(1) Make sure air intake extension (4) connection is tight.
(2) Tighten fuel tank filler cap(s) securely.
(3) Make sure battery filler caps are tightened securely.
(4) Secure all loose objects on vehicle.
(5) Remove flywheel housing drainplug (3) from storage boss (2) and install in