1-10. EQUIPMENT CHARACTERISTICS, CAPABILITIES, AND
(3) The normal operating range for the vehicle is 300 mi (483 km), based on 54 gal (204
L) of fuel and vehicle at maximum gross combination weight (wrecker at Maximum Gross
Vehicle Weight (MGVW)) when operated at an average speed of 25 mph (40 km/h).
Varying loads, prolonged idle, use of Power Take-Off (PTO), off-road driving, and climatic
conditions will affect operating range.
(4) Tiedown points are located so that the vehicle can be restrained in all directions
during air transport in C-130 and C-141 aircraft. The vehicles are capable of being
transported by highway, rail, and sea.
(1) An in-line, six-cylinder, 403 cid (6.6 L), turbocharged diesel engine, producing 290 hp
(2) An automatic transmission with seven forward speeds and one reverse speed. The
transmission incorporates an integral transfer case. Normal mode is used when operating
the vehicle under usual conditions. Off-road mode is used when operating on unimproved
road surfaces. When operating in the normal mode, 70 percent of the power is distributed
to the rear axles and 30 percent to the front axle. When operating in the off-road mode,
power is evenly distributed between the front and rear axles.
(3) A power steering system consisting of a recirculating ball type steering gear box with
hydraulic boost. Mechanical linkage provides the Operator with control in the event of
steering oil pressure loss.
(4) A fuel system that includes; a 56 gal (212 L) capacity, 54 gal (204 L) usable fuel tank,
fuel/water separator with fuel priming pump, fuel transfer pump, secondary fuel filter, and
(5) Two front and two rear towing eyes with shackles.
(6) A manually operated pintle hook for towing a trailer or a disabled vehicle.
(7) A Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) that allows the Operator to adjust tire pressure,
with the touch of a button, to suit terrain conditions.
(8) A cab with accommodations for three personnel, or two personnel if a radio is
(9) Service and emergency gladhands at the rear and front of the vehicle for towing a
trailer or disabled vehicle, or for being towed.