(2) On winches with level wind, pull
cable chain (12) up through the space
between the bumper (11) and winch on the
left side. Wind cable chain around back of
the level winding frame, then across the
front so the chain hook (13) can be attached
to the left side of the level winding frame.
Do not force clutch drum lever to free clutch. Engage power
takeoff in forward or reverse gear, as required, and slip engine
(3) Disengage drum jaw clutch by moving drum clutch lever (18) as far as it will go
toward the winch. Swing hinged plate down to lock drum clutch lever (18).
(4) Lock drum in place with drum lock knob (17) by pulling knob out, rotating it
90 degrees, and releasing. If necessary, rotate drum by hand to allow drum lock plunger
to engage nearest hole of drum flange.
(5) On winches with level wind, release lock by pulling lock knob (15) out. Rotate it
90 degrees and release. If necessary, move level wind (16) by hand to allow lock plunger
to engage hole in winding frame.
(6) Swing hinged holding plate on headboard down and around winch control lever
(3) to secure lever in place.
(7) Service snatch block (7) and other equipment used in winching and stow
(8) To replace winch shear pin; refer to paragraph 3-17.