c. After Operation.
(1) Wash all mud from vehicle as soon as possible, before it has time to dry and
(2) Remove tire chains from driving wheels.
(3) If vehicle front winch was used, clean and lubricate.
(4) At end of daily operation, perform after operation services as outlined in
2-38. OPERATING IN SALT WATER
a. General. Salt water causes considerable damage to vehicle components. For this
reason, do not drive needlessly in or through salt water. Vehicle components that do
come in contact with salt water must be washed with fresh water as soon as possible.
Normally, all important vehicle components will ford salt water up to 30 inches
(76 centimeters) in depth without fording kit and 78 inches (198 centimeters) with kit
b. Preparation for Fording.
(1) Make sure engine fuel tank cap(s), hydraulic oil filter cap(s), engine oil dipstick,
surge tank filler cap, power steering reservoir cap, engine oil fill cap, and battery caps are
(2) If fording is to be in more than
30 inches (76 centimeters) of water, a
deepwater fording kit must be installed by
direct support maintenance personnel.
(3) On all models, remove flywheel
housing drainplug (3) from storage boss (2)
and install it in drainport (1).