2-44. OPERATING A-FRAME KIT
a. General. The A-frame kit is installed on vehicles with front winches to provide a
means for lifting, moving, and lowering material when standard cranes are not available.
A-frame load capacity is 3,000 pounds (1,362 kilograms).
b. Safety Precautions. When using an A-frame assembly, the operator should be aware
of the following operating instructions for personnel safety and maintaining equipment in
(1) Do not overload A-frame [maximum load: 3,000 pounds (1,362 kilograms)].
(2) Do not drop poles below 60 degree angle with ground surface.
(3) Do not allow load to swing.
(4) Be aware of overhead obstacles and avoid hitting them.
(5) Prevent cable kinking and twisting.
(6) Do not use winch cable to tie load.
c. Preparation for Use.
Vehicle will become charged with electricity if A-frame contacts or
breaks high voltage wire. Do not leave vehicle while high voltage
line is in contact with A-frame or vehicle. Serious personnel injury
can result. Signal nearby personnel to have electrical power turned
A-frame kit is installed and rigged by organizational maintenance
(1) Maneuver vehicle into position for
operation. Be careful that A-frame does not
come into contact with wires, cables, tree
limbs, or other overhead obstructions.
(2) Park vehicle and apply parking brake.
Do not attempt to lift more than 3,000 pounds (1,362 kilograms)
with A-frame kit.
d. Operating Frame. Operate front winch to raise, lower, or hold load. Refer to
paragraph 2-22 for front winch operating instructions.